Don’t let the ‘Freshman 15’ Happen!
Academics are an adjustment for college students. Now on their own, students are forced to make their own food choices instead of relying on parents or the public school system. ECI offers healthy, yet scrumptious choices for college kids, so they don’t have to eat meals that are high in calories and fat. Many of the fast food or cafeteria choices on college campuses are simply not good for you and cause weight gain or health problems. We keep this in mind when preparing our foods and menus… that’s why all of our menus are fresh foods made from scratch. ECI has developed its menu from a variety of freshly made, wholesome choices. Some of our daily practices are those that are best kept all the time:
- Choosing whole-grain foods; such as whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice, and low fat popcorn, more often.
- Mixin’ up the veggies with dark green and orange some days, such as spinach, broccoli, carrots, and sweet potatoes.
- Focusing on fruits with every meal and at snack time, too. Fruits may be fresh, frozen, canned or dried.
- Supplying calcium-rich foods to build strong bones. Low-fat and fat-free milk, yogurt, cheeses or other milk products several times a day are essential.
- Going lean with protein. Eating lean or low-fat meat, chicken, turkey, and fish, as well as more dry beans and peas will help kids grow.
- Changing oil choices to fish, nuts or liquid oils such as corn, soybean, canola, and olive oil are smart.